Saturday, June 9, 2012

Gabriel - the first two weeks of life.

I want to remember what these first few weeks were like, so here are a few of my memories... Our first night home from the hospital, Gabe started to act like he was hurting. Where ordinarily he would be comforted by nursing, he became inconsolable and it was obvious that he was trying to poop and was in pain because of his inability to. Let me go back and say that up to this point he hadn't really had a poop, which is very unusual. Usually you want to see the first poop within 24 hours. This had his nurse momma VERY concerned, particularly if he was in pain. I talked Dan into taking me and Gabe into urgent care, but during the car ride, Gabriel fell asleep and seemed comfortable, so we returned home, comforted by the fact that we had an appointment with the pediatrician the next morning. We were very grateful that during his visit with his pediatrician, he had his first poop (when he was almost 60 hours old)! This made me very, very happy. The other thing we were watching was his jaundice level, which was a bit high just prior to our leaving the hospital. We ended up having a few blood draws to make sure it was getting dangerously high. Gabriel LOVES to eat. It seems he eats constantly, both night and day. I hear most newborns sleep approximately 16 hours a day. Not this boy! I'm hoping to get him into a good schedule by the time his brother comes home. These last few days he's become much more alert and interactive. He makes more eye contact and has all kinds of great facial expressions and has started to make little cooing noises. He loves to move his arms around and gets hicups several times every day. He knows when his momma is holding him and usually starts to cry shortly after being transferred to anyone elses arms, though he's getting more comfortable with his daddy. Dan on occassion will play the piano with Gabe on his lap, which Gabe seems to enjoy. One thing Gabriel doesn't like is lying on his back. He'll sleep pretty well in my arms, but as soon as he gets transferred into his co-sleeper, he wakes up and will only be soothed again to sleep with nursing. This makes for some long nights. After one such night, Dan took him out for a drive, since he seems to like his car seat. They headed to Kalama and took a little walk, then went to Grandma and Grandpa Stuarts where they stayed for a little visit. Here are a few pictures from the past couple of weeks:

Heading Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment