Sunday, March 17, 2013

On my night stand

I've been able to do quite a bit of reading recently, since we've been trying to get the boys to bed a little earlier these days. That along with the time I spend nursing Gabe, I've been able to start and even finish some great books. It's a fairly long list, but that's because I always have a whole bunch of books going at one time. Then I have something to match my mood. If I'm feeling productive, I read a how-to book. If I'm needing to be entertained, I read a pleasure book.
-"How to be Black" by Baratunde Thurston. I picked this up from the library in order to educate myself on black culture here in the United States. Although Wedly won't have the typical African-American upbringing, there may be a day where he really identifies with black culture. I've been trying to read some books to help me understand what it means to live life as a minority. This book was extremely entertaining and eye-opening.
-:Square Foot Gardening": We are currently working on putting in our garden. The fence is going up and tonight we will pick up some lumber to start building the boxes for our square foot garden. I didn't anticipate reading the book straight through, but that's exactly what happened. I can't wait to really get started on it!
-"Endurance:Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" This book turned out to be quite the page-turner. It is about a group of men who set sail on a mission to cross the continent of Antarctica. Things did not go as planned. It was an adventure that I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted a week on and I consider myself to be fairly adventurous. What these men went through is astounding. If you've read and enjoyed books like "Undaunted Courage" you should read this one as well. But you should be prepared with a stock of tea and/or bubble bath because you'll find yourself getting cold just reading about what these men went through.
-"Going Public" This book is a how-to on putting your kids through public school. We haven't come to a decision on if our kids will be home-schooled or if they will go to public or private school, but regardless of what our decision will be, this book has been a great read. It has a lot of great tips on parenting in general. Whatever our decision will be, I want to be very intentional about how we go about it, doing our best to point our kids to Christ. I have no doubt that this is a book I will look to many times in the future. I highly recommend it.
-"No Ordinary Home: The Uncommon Art of Christ-centered Homemaking." This is another book that will stay close at hand as a reference because it has some great specific ideas on how to make your home 'holy at the heart' as she would say. Again, the main thing is about being intentional. The author, Carol Brazo, happens to work at George Fox as an associate professor in the MAT dept.
-"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Alls I have to say about this book is it's CONVICTING. Oh, and a good quick read.
-"The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes" I've been enjoying this book, though I imagine it might take me quite awhile to actually get through it. It's nice to be able to read a mystery, then set the book aside for awhile only to be picked up again when I'm lacking something to read in the moment.
-"Mercy Triumphs" by Beth Moore. This isn't a book, it's a Bible Study work book and has really been wonderful. I'm about 3 weeks in and I look foward to my 6 to 7 am wake up call by Gabe because I know it means I can grab myself a cup of tea and have some quiet time while he plays with at the train table.


Kids books: We've spent some time in our local library and have checked out a fair number of books. Let me tell you, there are some really dumb kids books out there. And 'dumb' is putting it lightly. Here are a few that not only weren't painful to read, but were actually enjoyable.
-How to Babysit a Grandpa
-Samantha on a Roll
-The Ant and the Grasshopper
-Crunch Munch Dinosaur Lunch
-Cock-a-doodle Dance

How about you? What are you reading? I've just about finished the stack of books and am needing to find some new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment