Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Garden 2013

With the help of my awesome, seemingly tireless husband, I was able to get in a garden this year! I honestly thought I was starting small, but we decided to do raised beds (or specifically, Square Foot Gardening) and although my garden looks small, I have a TON of plants in it. Danno put in the fence and then helped me put together the beds. It's been so much fun and we've already been eating off of it for a few weeks now. Here's what's been planted this year: Tomatoes (5 or 6 varieties), onions (Walla Walla's and yellow), Kale, Potatoes (red, Yukon, and a couple of other types), carrots, Tomatillos, Beans (2 varieties), chives, cilantro, spinach, 3 types of lettuce, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Broccoli, parsley, peas, jalapeƱo peppers, a couple of different types of sweet peppers, pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers and marigolds. On top of that, I put in a couple hills each of winter squash, pumpkins, zucchini, and even watermelon (a gift from my sister-in-law). Even just listing all these things out, I'm amazed at the variety and quantity of what I was able to do in four 8'x4' square boxes (along with the hills and a few additional tomato plants planted here and there). I have always loved to work the land, stemming back from my years working at the golf course. I love to landscape, mow, weed, and am excited to plant and harvest a garden once again this year. I find that time just flies by as I weed, prune and plant. And I love to think of how tending to a garden was the first job God gave to man.

 
 
 
Here's a link to the book Square Foot Gardening:
and the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment